Hingham Public Schools
Library Media Curriculum Guidelines
In second grade, students visit the library regularly for instruction and book selection. With a continued emphasis on literature appreciation and peer sharing students will begin a shift towards learning information literacy skills in accordance with state and national standards. Students will continue to learn about organization and procedures of the library and book care.
· Review of basic library terminology and parts of a book
· Develop the ability to evaluate award-winning literature
· Further exploration of the informational texts and resources
· Develop the ability to listen, evaluate and critically respond to literature
· Develop an understanding of the organization of the library
· Further develop the confidence to explore shelves on their own and make appropriate selections
Students will be able to locate books for pleasure and intellectual curiosity.
Students will be able to recognize exemplary authors’ and illustrators’ works.
Students will view the library as a place to discover self-interests and a place to support their regular classroom academics and growth.
Students will understand their responsibility for library materials and understand the importance of the library community and shared material.
Students will follow the Hingham Public School Rules of the Road and apply it to all library procedures.