Hingham Public Schools
Library Media Curriculum Guidelines
Students visit the library regularly for instruction and book selection. The continued emphasis in first grade is on literature appreciation which is provided in a variety of picture books, informational books and technology in accordance with state and national standards. Students further their understanding about organization and procedures of the library as well as book care.
· Review of basic library terminology and parts of the book
· Develop the ability to appreciate award winning literature and exemplary authors and illustrators
· Further develop an understanding of the system for organizing nonfiction books by subject
· Develop the ability to listen, evaluate and respond to media
· Develop the confidence to explore the shelves on their own and make appropriate selections
Students will be able to locate books for pleasure and intellectual curiosity.
Students will be able to recognize exemplary authors’ and illustrators’ works.
Students will view the library as a place to discover self-interests and a place to support their regular classroom academics and growth.
Students will understand their responsibility for library materials and understand the importance of the library community and shared material.
Students will follow the Hingham Public School Rules of the Road and apply it to all library procedures.